I’m gonna go out on a limb and wish you all a Happy (Large) Caturday, GN!

So very awesome to see Harper!!1! and RabBeet stop by yesterday; hope to see more of same. Iz nice.

I got nothin’ else right now.

how not to wear a disney sweater.jpeg
26 days ago

Good morning, Fatwa -- happy weekend, GN!

26 days ago

Just because.

biden1.jpg
dv8 - totally not curvycom
dv8 - totally not curvycom
26 days ago

We watched the “The Good Cop” all night tonight. I made scones. I still have a strange story to tell, something that happened to me on Wednesday morning, but I’m going to sleep, so it’ll have to be this afternoon.

26 days ago

You keep teasing us, Dv8.

dv8 - totally not curvycom
dv8 - totally not curvycom
26 days ago

yup

Paddy O'Furnijur, Village Souse
Paddy O'Furnijur, Village Souse
26 days ago

Happy Hangin’ Around Caturday, Gerbil Nation!
Good morning, Fatwa, Sven, and dv8!

It was good to see both Harper and RabBiT yesterday!

Fatwa -- excellent picture!

I read that the LAPD is investigating a domestic abuse claim against Larry Elder from 2015 (or so, she can’t really remember). That must mean he’s doing well in his race for the Governor.

26 days ago

So here’s a weird thing. I got an Amazon package last month with our street address but addressed to someone that don’t know and never lived here. Inside was a cheap pair of hot -cold bathroom faucet caps. Contacted Amazon by phone and after waiting on hold for 15 minutes, was cut off after talking to CS for 5 minutes. Sent two emails -- no response. Then yesterday we got another package, different name, but our address. This time there was a Pentel refillable ink cartridge inside.

Apparently this is something called a “brushing scam” and the advice is to contact the retailer -- good advice except that Amazon makes it next to impossible to do so.

dv8 - totally not curvycom
dv8 - totally not curvycom
26 days ago

Interesting. I guess that’s another technique these chinese startups use to get ratings.

I also had a few of these companies contact me offering me free stuff in exchange for reviews. Honestly, the stuff was not too bad--and free--so I did a bit of that. I got a lot of free audio equipment.

The Mic I use to stream with most of the time is one of those and rivals my Blue Yeti in performance. The little desktop mic I use when I stream from the laptop is not too bad either.

I also got a lot of wireless mics and Lav mics and such. I have a great mic for if I wanted to do “man on the street” interviews--which I probably never would, but hey, who knows.

26 days ago

Calire Wolfe, as almost always, dead nuts on again.

That’s why I’m conflating COVID shots with Afghanistan, why the title of this post is Afghanijabistan. Because, fellow citizens and stunned visitors from other worlds, the disasters are one and the same.

Which debacle will be the more deadly in the long run, time will tell. But you can bundle both up in the same corpse-stinking shroud of lieshysteriaforcepropagandawastecronyismandjustplainevil. Both are absolutely classic examples of how governments work — and how people keep falling for the same old tactics year after year, century after century, even when they have ample evidence that the government is not on their side and is in fact lying with every word any government representative utters.

dv8 - totally not curvycom
dv8 - totally not curvycom
26 days ago

In other news, I think it’s actually possible that the wheel is on a list of shadow blocked web sites.

Freedom Phone has similar behavior.

ISPs can deliberately misacquire DNS information. The way we can combat it, is to set the TTL on the site to a low value, like 5 minutes (300 seconds)

Is someone here able to send a DM to the Admin?

Last edited 26 days ago by dv8 - totally not curvycom
dv8 - totally not curvycom
dv8 - totally not curvycom
26 days ago

This explains why, through some ISPs, there is no problem displaying the wheel (and freedom phone, for that matter) and some periodically make it unavailable. I noticed the same thing with StyxHexenHammer666 and other creators’ web sites that periodically do NOT display at all, but will always work on TOR.

If I run my own DNS, the wheel will no doubt work as well, but I don’t want to pay for SimpleDNS, and I don’t want to configure BIND (which is free) to run on my local network (because it is more complicated to set up)