dv8 - something whimsical but not grim

Good Morning Gerbils. In our area they just started with the closings and such. McD’s and BK are drive thru only. Other restaurants are take out. Some markets are having trouble with supplies, but so far, Bashas and Safeway are ok. We also have a whole foods up here, and another market that is similar to Whole Foods but a bit smaller.

My job is still open. So I guess I’ll be doing that for a while yet. It’s not too high risk because I’m pretty much alone when I do it.

I feel powerless to do anything other than what I’ve already done to prepare, and to try to remember not to touch my face, and wash my hands more often.

So far, there are no cases here.

1 year ago

Good to read that Sedona is largely doing OK, Dv8, and not surprised that you guys are as prepared as you can be.

Fatwa Arbuckle: Joooish Space Laser Operator

G’day, GN!

Hiya, dv8!

Sven --

Hope the eyeball-jabbing can be avoided. 🙁

Thanks for keeping us apprised.

dv8 --

My feeling of powerlessness is enhanced by the slapdash manner in which bans, closures, curfews, etc. are being administered. No real explanations; mostly seems ill-thought-out and an extreme example of the political kneejerk “I must be seen to be doing something!

Jim teh Roofer said L.A. traffic yesterday was eerily light and that many restaurants were simply closed in the areas he passed through. A cousin out there -- bank veep -- is working remotely and reported that his neighborhood was also weirdly quiet. Said it reminded him of the immediate aftermath of 9/11 combined with that of the Northridge quake.

I’m having a real problem with the lack of “hard” info about why all of this statist goonery is even necessary. Or helpful. “Abundance of caution” doesn’t cut it for me; it mostly feels incoherent, haphazard, clumsy and “because fuck you, that’s why”.

(And ya’ll know that doesn’t sit well with me.)

My perception that most of our media and pols are prevaricating shit-sacks doesn’t help, either.

1 year ago

Doesn’t sit well with me either, but we seem to be in that silent majority faction as the media keeps trumpeting the doom and gloom narrative and govt keeps on grabbing.

dv8 - something whimsical but not grim

first underreact, then overreact. pretty typical of the govt and the msm.

Us'in's. Teh both of us. Together we are stronger...The DV8'ed Plague Fairy.

I’m looking on the bright side. This might be a time of realignment and shaking out. Bringing manufacturing back, vowing not to be at the mercy of China just in time to stop our “betters” from stumbling blindly into using China’s Huawei 5G infrastructure and blowing our intel sharing agreement with Great Britain, Australia, Canada and New Zealand. Teaching Americans to pull together…

I have great hopes. This is a fairly mild crisis but I do see the need for something to toughen people up.

And yes, our newscasters are execrable although Fatwa put it much better!

Us'in's. Teh both of us. Together we are stronger...The DV8'ed Plague Fairy.

comment image

I put in a supply of nice beans for the duration…

1 year ago

Thank you, Plaguie! A bean is just what we need!

1 year ago

Good morning Fatwa, Dv8, and Miss Harper -- happy Wednesday, GN!

1 year ago

Nice to see a little Ursula Vernon, Miss Harper. After you introduced her here, I bought several of her books for a friend’s daughter.

1 year ago
Us'in's. Teh both of us. Together we are stronger...The DV8'ed Plague Fairy.

Yes, Sven! Absobloominlutely!

It’s good to see you, Sir. And nice to hear you’ve enjoyed Ursula’s books! I hear there is a plan in place to care for your eyes? I hope it goes well.

Sven:

This eye thing of yours. It sounds like Fuchs Dystropy. A friend of mine has that; she recently got an inside layer of corneal cells transplanted. She’s largely okay now.

1 year ago

Thanks, Dv8. Reading up on it.

A couple of years back I scratched the cornea of my right eye and it didn’t heal. For several months I’d wake up with a searing pain as I opened my eyes -- caused by the scab on the cornea adhering to the inside of the eyelid. Had PTK surgery last year that seemed to solve most of the problem, but still having trouble with vision and that gritty-there’s-something-in-my-eye sensation.

I’m back to the doc Friday, but I’m going to ask him about Fuch’s Dystrophy.

Related to nothing, but I went to high school with a girl named Jackie Fuchs. She was the original bassist for the Runaways.

dv8 - something whimsical but not grim

Re Fuchs: I’ts pretty rare. only 100 people in the whole world have it. But it causes pressure in the cornea. They treat it with a salt gel that you put in your eye at night which will draw out the moisture, hence the excess pressure. But ultimately you have to replace the moisture regulating cells on the inside of the cornea.

Re the other Fuchs: What a strange brush with greatness.

Us'in's. Teh both of us. Together we are stronger...The DV8'ed Plague Fairy.

Fuchs dystrophy isn’t caused by injuries so you’re ok there, Sven!

Fatwa:

Luckily I didn’t get my Corona info from the MSM, but from Tim Pool, Styx, and Razorfist.

1 year ago

Happy Isolate Yourselves Wednesday, Gerbil Nation!
Good morning, dv8, Fatwa, Sven, and Harper!

Yesterday afternoon the county Health Officer issued, and the county CEO signed (with approval from the Board of Supervisors) and order restricting, well, just about everything. Funny, it hasn’t really made the news. The salient point is:

All public and private gatherings of any number of people, including at places of work, occurring outside a single household or living unit are prohibited. However, nothing in this Order prohibits the gathering of members of a household or living unit.

There are exemptions for “essential services”, which are defined later in the order. At the BOS meeting the DA expressed concern about how this order would be enforced. One of the supervisors responded that Tuesday’s meeting wasn’t the time or place to discuss such concerns.

Mrs. Paddy went in to work today, ignoring the order.

Us'in's. Teh both of us. Together we are stronger...The DV8'ed Plague Fairy.

My kind of gal…heh. Good to see you, Paddy.

The rain is singing sleepy songs to me this morning.

…Biden rallies unaffected….

Fatwa Arbuckle: Joooish Space Laser Operator

Drive-by:

Hi, Harper (!!!), Sven and Paddy!

T’anks for teh bean, Plaguie; are those the musical sort? 🙂

Harper --

I share those hopes about lessening out dependence on China and doing more for ourselves; point about Huawei 5G particularly well-taken. (It’s bad enough our own government’s spookin’ on us as much as they do; don’t need to let the Chicoms monitor all of our stuff, too.)

Sven --

Cheers for the link; re the Chinese gummint’s ambitions: fark them people.

Continued good thoughts from both of us re your eye.

Paddy --

I salute Mrs. Paddy for “stickin’ it to the man” re going into work. Aren’t these tools in local governance supposed to have, how you say, contingency plans for emergencies already worked out?

Criminy.

=========================

For new remote workers who miss starting and ending their work day on mass transit, here’s a helpful suggestion for how to cope:

corona commuter.jpg
dv8 - something whimsical but not grim

I saw that picture, and before I read your caption, immediately understood it. It’s perfect!

1 year ago

Dog whistle alert. During Trump’s press conference, I just heard someone talking about the “slope” of the curve. We all know what that means when used in the context of the “Chinese” virus.

hahahahaha!!11

dv8 - something whimsical but not grim

well, it’s off to bed for me. I may be awake before this thread dies, and I may not….

Us'in's. Teh both of us. Together we are stronger...The DV8'ed Plague Fairy.

My gift to you today. I get some of my best overview information from listening to Ben here. His wife is a doctor, too. I’m listed as an MD On a few boards so I get much of the raw virus information and research but I still find this well worth my time And He’s Funny. David and I splurge on a membership to the Dailywire for Christmas each year and we really like it. Andrew Klavan is also a riot to listen too there.

Us'in's. Teh both of us. Together we are stronger...The DV8'ed Plague Fairy.

Eep! I didn’t know I was embedding the whole thing!! If that’s a problem please take it down someone…

1 year ago

Harper PlagueFairy, M.D.
It has a certain ring to it!

dv8 - something whimsical but not grim

Well… I was thinking about All y’all, and it helped me get up earlier. (I didn’t go back to sleep like I often do when I don’t absolutely have to get up.

Also: test…. fail. Never mind; testing something in HTML.

dv8 - something whimsical but not grim

I’m very grateful to the alt tech media for helping us prepare early for this pandemic. Also very grateful to our church for always promoting the spirit of readiness.

Sleep tight, Gerbils.