Happy Hump Day, Wheelizens!

Please know that all of you are helping me to stay more “balanced” than I would otherwise be during the current craziness; sorry y’all are -- understandably -- having a tough time coping.

(Given that I’ve spent decades at a slow boil, 2020 hasn’t really made me that much angrier; I can relate to the “This Is Fine” dog in my own weird way.)

Very grateful that SackO’SugarK has been able to work remotely; not so glad that her employer has doubled-down on their efforts to kill-off their IT department. Wish I could do more to help her shoulder that burden.

I’m also glad that JimCo’s busier than usual this year; time spent on admin duties is time I don’t spend reading shit which pisses me off. (Still dreading the thought of another 5-6 weeks in L.A., but will no doubt appreciate the checks for that job when they start rolling-in in the Spring.)

Paddy --

Re AB331: What a load of racist shit. Was there anything in the materials you read about Italians, Greeks or other “Mediterranean”-types? (Who were oft regarded as swarthy, reeking of garlic or other then-unusual spices, etc.) They’re now considered “white”, but they sure weren’t a century ago.

Also reminded of the Mayor of Rock Ridge in “Blazing Saddles”:

“We’ll take the n*ggers and the ch*nks, but we won’t take the Irish!”

We’ve gone full circle from “content of their character” to “color of their skin”; fark that noise.

BBL.

Happy V-J Day, America!

1 year ago

Happy Wednesday, Gerbil Nation!

Fatwa -- no, I didn’t see anything about “white” Mediterraneans. That narrative has apparently been white-washed. Who would have thought that trying to live up to Dr. King’s dream would result in being called a racist?

At Teh Younger’s place of employment, instead of taking kids out on the ocean, they’re serving as a learning center for kids who are going to school online (which is all of them at this point). The first half of the day they help the kids with their curriculum, then the second half they help them with their homework and add in some learning about the ocean, robotics, etc. Yesterday, Teh Older texted me for help with a 1st grade math problem. I want you to think on that for a moment. He needed help in order to help a first grade student do a math problem. Here’s the problem:

Draw how you can make a ten to subtract 15 -- 8

Welcome to Common Core math. I’d be interested in any solutions y’all come up with.

Teh Younger came home from work saying he now more fully understands this clip:

1 year ago

I’m not sure I even understand the question.

Exactly!

X_LA_Native
Admin
1 year ago

It wouldn’t come to me no matter which way I turned my head.

While you’ll have to deal with the annoying “vocal fry” and referring to students as “scholars”, here’s how the “Take 10” bullshit works:

It’s the new “New Math”.

1 year ago

FFS. I mean really, FFS. So if I had 100-9, what would I do? FFS.

Good question.

Um, use a calculator? Ask a rocket scientist?

1 year ago

Break 100 into groups of ten, then mark off nine from the last group of ten, then count how many you have left.

Or break 100 into 90 and 10, then subtract 9 from 10, giving 1. Now add the 90 to the 1.

FFS.

1 year ago

Yep, that’s one of the solutions. There are a few others that involve drawing the items and/or putting them in boxes of 10.

Let’s make math as difficult as possible.

X_LA_Native
Admin

o_0
I echo Sven: FFS.
I don’t wanna know.

What stupid shits. I’m kind of surprised they didn’t assault the driver.

=============

Sabo is a national treasure; his latest:

sabo _ pelosi.jpg
1 year ago

They film the whole thing -- they want YOU to assault THEM and then it would be game on. Sad the loss of civility and basic American cultural norms.

I lurved the hysteria…that he was trying to kill them.

FFS.

If Pelosi can be tricked by a hair salon, perhaps she ought not have a national security clearance.

1 year ago

It’s hard to argue with that.

1 year ago

Thoughts and prayers for a restful night my friends. As messed up as things seem, this small group here is still clearheaded and making sense. And there are millions more of small groups just like us.

I was talking with one of my remaining work friends today, about a guy that used to work with us and that we were both friends with. This guy is about as far left and grievance struck as they come, but we always treated him with friendship and respect. We knew, based on his social media posts and comments, that he actually despises and hates who we are in the abstract, but I guess he somehow figured we must be different cuz he never got personally insulting. Anyway, since he was fired last year, we’ve both reached out to him with encouragement and assistance in finding a job, but altho he was appreciative of our efforts, he didn’t really reciprocate and we both gave up trying.

A long intro, but my comment to my friend was “As Christians, we ought to reach out to him, but as an American, I’m truly tired of him and and his ilk. I’m done -- the ball is in his court to do with as he see fit.”

I’ve thought a lot about that tonight.

1 year ago

There’s a limit to what you can do. You’re keeping the lines of communication open, not cutting him off -- you have nothing to berate yourself about.