15 days ago

Well. I got my pasta machine. Same Brand, supposedly the same model, but this one looks better somehow. More solid.

Also, Installed the new mouse. I am much happier:

A. That the mouse works.
B. That since it’s the same model, I didn’t have to configure it.
C. That all my hardware is black now.

Does it make me a racist if I like all my hardware black--like my coffee?
Or is it the opposite?

I’m going to try it out right now, in Skyrim.

Last edited 15 days ago by dv8 -Ultra Maga Fascalistic Expy Alidocious
15 days ago

After doing some research on the Marcato Atlas, I realized that I actually ordered the same one in 2017 also, however I received a “Wellness” model which has been discontinued. Marcato claims that the two models are almost identical, but that they have discontinued the Wellness.

On both orders the Non Wellness model is pictured. To my engineering minded brain, the regular 150 which is what I have this time. Looks much more sturdy.

I duuno…

Mac:

You know that feeling when you pick up a small machine, and it just “feels” more solid--like the parts fit together better?

That sounds very subjective, but I’m curious if you have a similar experience with mechanical equipment: That you can just tell, by holding a machine, that it is better?

15 days ago
Reply to  Mac

So I’m not imagining it, then : ) (hopefully)

15 days ago

P.S.

I wish I could get metal gears for the motor though, which is a separate piece, I know it would last longer with metal gears properly lubricated.

15 days ago

Hi, Dv8 -- good morning, GN. Happy Thursday from windy socal. Got our first PSPS warning from SoCal Edison scheduled for tomorrow. Funny how after two years, outrage over this has changed to acceptance and preparation.

Jooooos. Is there nothing they can’t do?

Israel Accused of Unleashing Pigs on “Palestinians”

“the gazelles and the boars are trained somehow to respond to Israeli commands.”

15 days ago

Sure Happy It’s Thursday, Gerbil Nation!
Good morning, dv8 (and Harper!), Mac, and Sven!

dv8 -- I’m glad your pasta machine arrived and that it appears to be of a higher quality. I loathe poorly made carp.

Sven -- most people are sheep.

15 days ago

I think I may make some noodles this morning.

I’ve got everything I need now.

I feel a bit guilty because I just cooked some Edamame noodles a couple of days ago, portioned them, and put them in the fridge. I should really eat them first, but mine are so much better…. So….

15 days ago

Yeah, but I’m falling into that category as well. Worries me. From WTF to yeah, whatever.

15 days ago

BTW, I LOVE that thread pic!

14 days ago

it’s great!

15 days ago
14 days ago

I made some noodles with the new machine. It works amazingly better than the old one. So that’s a big deal.

I experimented with more dough relaxer, but didn’t make a huge batch, so I only made 3 lumps of dough. I don’t fully understand the parameters but the chew of the noodles is very nice. Now I want to make some ramen, but I have a bit of preparing to do. I also don’t have any good broth made, so I have to use my recipe with store bought bone broth and gelatin etc. It’s pretty good, but not like the real thing I made last time.

Also, I have figured a more convenient way to make Chashu, which is a roast pork belly condiment often added to ramen. You can get a sort of Paul Bunyan bacon at the the grocery store. super thick like 1/4 inch or so. So you can roll it up and tie it with twine then sear it and then douse it with a ramen friendly combination of soy/fish/mirin, salty sweet. Then finish it in the oven after dripping the remaining sauce/drippings over it.

once it cooked, you can remove the twine, and slice it. It tastes like the best bacony stuff ever.

The last time I tried it, it was delicious.

14 days ago

Ramen seems to have a bad name. I like the stuff. Never made it from scratch tho. Our kitchen is too damn small. If I need counter space, I have to move stuff off the counter to the kitchen table to free up enough space to work and even then it ain’t much.

14 days ago

same here, my kitchen is tiny.

14 days ago
Reply to  Mac

I’m a no-talent bum.

At least that is my role on twitter: )

14 days ago

Things that irk me today. Reading a story where someone is described as a “romantic partner.” This is usually a polite way of saying someone is banging someone else, while not being in a committed relationship with the bangee. “Sexual partner” is more accurate.

14 days ago

Mrs Sven says thanks for teh coon pic, Mac.