1/4 tsp salt

6 Tbsp unsalted butter
      1/2 C buttermilk
      1 lrg egg
      1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1 egg white
      Splash of water
      Cinnamon sugar (optional)

2/3 cup dried cranberries, bugs (currants or raisins), dried cherries or other dried fruit. Optional!

Preheat oven to 400°F.
      Baking time: 18-20 minutes
      Makes 8 Scones

In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients. Cut butter into about 1/2″ cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With an undefiled pastry blender cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

In small bowl, lightly whisk buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and stir to combine. Stir in the dried fruit if desired, you heretic.

With lightly floured hands, pat the dough into an 8″ diameter circle on an ungreased baking sheet. With serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges.

If desired, whisk egg white with generous splash of water. (I know, what’s a generous splash?! Don’t you hate me for that? Just go with it, it’s just an imprecise dash of water, you can’t go wrong.) Using pastry brush, brush egg wash over scones and, if you wish, add desired amount of sugar sprinkled across the top – Cinnamon or granulated sugar. I prefer granulated sugar on this.

Bake 18 to 20 min. Or until top is lightly browned and toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Remove to cooling rack. (if you didn’t have a baking sheet big enough to separate them completely as they cook that’s ok. Just cut them right out of the oven and let them cool 5 minutes)

Makes 8

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.