Sourdough Starter

Home Forums Food, glorious food! Sourdough Starter

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Barrett Wellman(tm)
      Participant

CRUSTY LOAF – Classic Sourdough Bread – Making the Starter

Day 1: Mix 1 teaspoon flour and 1 teaspoon water in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature.
      Day 2: After noticeable froth, add 1 teaspoon flour and 1 teaspoon water. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature.
      Day 3: Stir in 2 teaspoons flour and 2 teaspoons water. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature.
      Day 4: Stir in 4 tablespoons flour and 4 tablespoons water. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature.
      Day 5: Stir in 8 tablespoons flour and 8 tablespoons water. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature.
      Day 6: Stir in ¾ cup flour and ¾ cup water into the starter. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature.
      Day 7: Take 1 cup of the starter (discarding the rest) and mix it with 1 cup flour and 1 cup water. Allow to rise at room temperature for 24 hours.
      Day 8: You are ready to make Sourdough bread.

Northwesterner

Thank you, Jerry! Since I stumbled across my mom’s old bread recipe and started baking every Sunday, I get endless requests for sourdough, also for gluten-free!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.