Happy Christmas Eve Day, Wheelizens!

Does Santaur pull his own sleigh and/or fit down chimneys?

(As a small child, I used to wonder how Santa got into peoples’ apartments or other domiciles which didn’t have fireplaces; my folks explained he was a tricksy fat bastard…although not quite in those terms.)

When I was four, Mom took me to see the Santa at Marshall Field’s in the Chicago Loop. When I questioned his being the “real” Santa (as so many stores had them), Mom explained they were his “helpers”, as it was a busy time of year for the Jolly Old Elf. Which made a sort of sense to me.

My heart’s desire that year was some sort of space station toy (as I was already a wee space geek). Per Mom, I had memorized all the features mentioned in the commercial and duly recited them to the MF Santa (see what I did there?).

A while after we got home, Mom got a phone call. She told me it was the MF Santa informing her that he’d looked into said toy (which was almost certainly too expensive for our family budget), and that it was poorly made and would break easily. I was disappointed, but was assured that I’d get something else wonderful from Santa.

Don’t recall what it was, but it must’ve been deemed “good”, as I don’t recall feeling let down. 😉

I think it’s nice that my folks let my bro and I believe in Santa when we were kids. (Even though we also celebrated Hanukkah; mostly the story behind it, betting crappy gold foil-wrapped, waxy chocolate “gelt” (coins) on the dreidel game and, of course, latkes and other goodies with a bunch of family present…but not much in terms of presents.)

===========================

Yesterday was certainly busy work-wise; I expect today will be the same or moreso. The good news is that -- thus far -- we’ve only been informed of two very minor (alleged) leaks on JimCo roofs, so the rest of the calls and emails represent opportunity. Hope today will be similar.

BBL.

nighthawks covid diner.jpeg
dv8 -Ultra Maga Fascalistic Expy Alidocious

I’m glad to hear that Santa brings Hanukkah presents! I had always wondered about that.

In retrospect, you should have been more specific and perhaps asked for a space laser. Thing would come in useful these days. Just sayin’

MF Santa was quite polite in giving your mother a call.

Good morning, Fatwa, and Dv8. Still raining here -- picked up another inch overnight. Over 4 inches this week in our area, but no major slides or other issues. Yet.

dv8 -Ultra Maga Fascalistic Expy Alidocious

I wonder if Santaur was a real thing or photoshopped?

Reply to  Mac

Hi, Mac!

That’s so very wrong; great find!

dv8 -Ultra Maga Fascalistic Expy Alidocious

Merry Christmas Eve, Gerbil Nation!
Good morning, Fatwa, dv8 (and Harper!), Sven, and Mac!

Great story, Fatwa!

Does Santaur pull his own sleigh and/or fit down chimneys?

If you look at the link Mac provided, I think you’ll see that what Santaur does down the chimney must be for the naughty little boys and girls.

Sven -- here’s hoping the rain doesn’t cause any slides or flooding in your area.

Drive-by:

Merry Christmas Eve Day, dv8 (and Harper!!1!), Sven, Paddy and Mac!

Heh, Coincidentally, the laser was invented that year (1960).

I recall when “Jonny Quest” debuted in ’64; I believe the very first ep they aired featured a laser, which quite impressed a seven-year-old me that they used one in the plot. Even moar impressive to me was the music, as it wasn’t “cutesy cartoon music” (and was actually pretty hip), which I really appreciated.

The music was written by Hoyt Curtin, who was Hanna-Barbera’s “go-to” guy for decades. Found out years later that he was also a trombone player. He wrote the ‘bone-heavy JQ theme largely in F# minor, which is an extremely difficult key for that instrument -- to screw with the session players. Curtin allegedly had a wonderful time with how much trouble they had performing it.

Still holds up pretty well as main title music, IMHO. (As does much of the “incidental” music for the show; found a great stash of most of the cues “in the clear” and downloaded them years ago.)

Too bad the show, which was a popular and critical success, was so expensive to produce it only ran for one season.

Last edited 9 months ago by Fatwa Arbuckle: Misanthropologist
dv8 -Ultra Maga Fascalistic Expy Alidocious

It was a great theme.

Wait weren’t there more episodes in the 90s? And there was some kind of kerfuffle wherein they were going to make a couple of the main characters gay or something.

I vaguely remember Rush Limbaugh talking about that at some point.

Last edited 9 months ago by dv8 -Ultra Maga Fascalistic Expy Alidocious
Jerry Atrick

Little Jerry wishes you a Merry Christmas from 4 degrees Maine. Beauty aside, this place is a winter wasteland. I feel “The Shining” coming on.

IMG (3).jpg
Reply to  Jerry Atrick

Heya, Big Jerry…and a Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Now just avoid the REDRUM and put down the axe…

Last edited 9 months ago by Fatwa Arbuckle: Misanthropologist
Reply to  Jerry Atrick

Merry Christmas, Jerry! Scary solitude and wind whistling through the trees aside, I hope you all are having a wonderful time. Oh, and in answer to your unasked question, no, that ice is not thick enough to support your weight.

Heh.

I’m glad my parents (metaphorically) beat some sense into Wee Fatwa’s head about the dangers of thin ice and other things.

Not that I didn’t do other potentially dangerous / deadly stuff.

I do appreciate the combination of taking calculated risks and dumb luck which lead to my surviving this long.

dv8 -Ultra Maga Fascalistic Expy Alidocious
Reply to  Mac

Too bad no one can see it has one like and 40,000,000 dislikes : )

dv8 -Ultra Maga Fascalistic Expy Alidocious
Reply to  Mac

Merry Christmas Mac!

dv8 -Ultra Maga Fascalistic Expy Alidocious
Reply to  Jerry Atrick

Merry Christmas, Jerry.

Merry Christmas, Jerry -- good morning, Mac, and Paddy.

Finished up the last minute food shopping -- still raining. Stopped at a local bakery for some dessert items -- got there 10 minutes before opening and there was already a dozen person line. It’s outside, it’s raining, and I’m the only one not wearing a mask.

Keep fighting the good fight, Sven.

Do not be surprised that you fall every day; do not give up, but stand your ground courageously. And assuredly, the angel who guards you will honour your patience.
St. John Climacus

Joey soft-serve was taking calls from the NORAD Santa tracking program and this is how one dad ended his call:

Last edited 9 months ago by Paddy O'Furnijur, Fascista Ubriacone

Classic!

Holy flurking schnitt…Joey Choo-Choo is such a brain-damaged husk of a formerly stupid person.

And people pretended to be scared that Trump “had his finger on the button”

We should be more afraid of where Joey’s finger is (and Kamala’s).

Jerry Atrick

Just a quick note. Whomever invented glitter wrapping paper should drown in a fire. I look like a Disco Queen -- at 73, not a good look

Reply to  Jerry Atrick

Pictures?

Yes, please!

Jerry has glerpes (glitter-herpes) -- the gift that keeps on giving.

dv8 -Ultra Maga Fascalistic Expy Alidocious

And speeking of talk radio…

I finished my Savage backlog listening about a month ago, I think. Now I have to make due with two podcasts a week, which is not nearly enough for the two long shifts, so I tend to save them up for a few weeks so I can binge them on one day.

Although…. I think Savage makes a couple of appearances on Newsmax TV each week.

dv8 -Ultra Maga Fascalistic Expy Alidocious

Oh, look at that, I’m off TOR again.

dv8 -Ultra Maga Fascalistic Expy Alidocious

As it turns out, I didn’t send out any Christmas cards this year.

Maybe I still will send some out late.

One service attended, dinner consumed, now it’s time for the 11 o’clock service at Mrs. Paddy’s church.

Joy, peace, love, and hope to you all.